Fox1470.com Phillies Contributor
After splitting the first 2 games, the Phillies & Giants played the final game of 3 game series. Before the game, Former Phillies pitcher Brad Lidge officially retired as member of Phillies & threw out the 1st pitch to Carlos Ruiz to recreate the final out from the 2008 World Series. The Pitching matchup was a battle of 2 of the game’s best when Cole Hamels took on Matt Cain. Charlie Manuel had Jimmy Rollins in the leadoff position, Chase Utley batting 3rd, Darin Ruf batting 4th & playing left field. Cody Asche making is MLB Debut at 3rd base, Michael Young at 1st base.
Cole Hamels & Matt Cain were going head to head & matching each other pitch by pitch. Chase Utley got the Phillies first hit of game in the 4th inning with a base hit. The game first runs came in the bottom of 5th inning when Cole Hamels hits single to left scoring Laynce Nix for a 1-0 lead. Cole Hamels & Matt Cain would continue their pitcher duel. Going into the 9th inning, the Phillies had a 1-0 lead & handed the ball to Jonathan Papelbon to get the save for Cole Hamels, The Giants would take the lead with 4 straight hits, the first one was a Roger Kieschnick single to right scoring Hunter Pence to tie game at 1, then Joaquin Arias singles to left scoring Brett Pill for a 2-1 Giants lead. Papelbon picked up his 6th blown save on the season The Phillies would attempt to tie the game in the bottom of 9th when Delmon Young reaches on a fielding error by third baseman Joaquin Arias. Then Cody Asche picks up his 1st MLB hit with a bunt single to pitcher Sergio Romo who slips on the play, and then John Mayberry gets hit by pitch to load the bases with no one out. Then Romo gets Ruiz, Nix & Kratz to ground out to end the game, The Giants Win 2-1 & take 2 of 3 from Phillies.
Cole Hamels went 8 innings, 7 hits, 0 runs, 5 strikeouts on 113 pitches and picked up the No Decision, Matt Cain went 8 innings, 6 hits, 1 run 7 strikeouts on 103 pitches. The Phillies now open a 3 game Weekend series with the Atlanta Braves on Friday at 7:05 when Phillies will send rookie Ethan Martin who makes his MLB Debut against Braves Kris Medlen
Fans Feedback during the Game:
1. Jessica on Twitter (@JessiDreamer17)” depressed. The whole game was great until it all just crumbled in the 9th inning.”
2. John Vig on Twitter (@Viggyiboy) “Paps opens mouth but his saves cannot cash. Phils choke away another 1!!!
3. Thomas Dowdy on Twitter (@TdowdyPhils) “I don't want to talk about it. All I need to say is screw Papeldouche”
4. Kelsey Carpenter on Twitter (@PhilliesDarling) Cole Hamels didn't deserve that. I wish papelbon was no longer wearing red and white and apparently he does too.”
5. Zac on Twitter (@ @bigzv99Bigzv99) I exited the stadium as tears were rolling down my eyes. How does something like that happen, Papelbon gave the game to the Giants. Then they tried to give it back and we said, "no thanks".
6. Laura McCouch on Twitter (@LauraMcCouch) “fucking pissed, how the hell do you lose a game when bases are loaded & no outs”
7. Kelly McGhee on Twitter (@KellyMcGhee528) “No words! Feel bad for Cole & as for PapelBum to say he didn't come here for this... He's part of the problem! Sums up season:BAD”
8. Seamus Doyle On Twitter (@SaintSeamus) “extremely mad, The Phillies lose a ball game in which they had in their back pocket Typical outcome of a season of doom, PAPELBON must be Released”
9. Joe Wilkinson on Twitter (@JoeWilkinson14) “I am disappointed with this loss. Phillies had plenty of opportunities in the last three innings to score, but couldn't. Very bad.”
10. Brooke Miller on Twitter (@Brookie425) “Hamels pitched a gem of a game, and Papelbon ruined it! No run support for him either, one run and he knocked it in himself!”
WP: Matt Cain (7-6)
LP: Jonathan Papelbon (2-1)
S: Sergio Romo (25)
Time of game: 2:45
Attendance at Citizens Bank Park: 33,645